The amendment that shrinks the size of the board ends the election of UUA trustees by districts and makes all trustees “at large” positions, with three-year terms. A related amendment reduces terms on the Nominating Committee, which picks candidates for the board and other committees. Other votes:
- Authorized off-site voting by GA delegates;
- Replaced “church” and “fellowship” in the bylaws with the more inclusive term “congregation,” and removed the word “local” from the phrase “local congregation”;
- Revised the process for changing the UUA’s Principles and Purposes, empowering the General Assembly to amend proposed new Principles and Purposes during the first of two years of voting;
- Clarified procedures for revoking or suspending the credentialed status of a religious educator;
- Modified conditions for appointment to the Ministerial Fellowship Committee;
- Removed references to the obsolete status of “Associate Ministerial Fellowship”;
- Substituted the word “staff” for the name of a specific UUA staff group; and
- Acknowledged the name change of the Thomas Jefferson District to the Southeast District.
GA approved three of four proposed AIWs, protesting Congressional hearings on “Muslim Radicalization,” calling for support of California supermarket workers in a labor dispute, and calling on UUs to oppose the U.S. Supreme Court decision Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission. A fourth AIW, calling for an end to U.S. military action in Afghanistan, failed to gain a two-thirds vote.
GA also approved three Responsive Resolutions, hailing New York State’s approval of marriage equality, calling on UUs to learn Spanish, and urging the UUA to offer a youth and young adult “action ministry” in preparation for GA 2012.
This story, which appeared in the Fall 2011 issue of UU World, was abridged from an earlier article published on uuworld.org, "Delegates approve ethical eating and a smaller board" (7.4.11).
- General Assembly report At 50, UUA readies for changes
- Rallying in the rain
- Delegates approve ethical eating and a smaller board
- UU World General Assembly blog. Coverage of the 2011 UUA General Assembly. (blogs.uuworld.org/ga)