uuworld.org: liberal religion and life

Introducing UU World Digital

Congregational news

Brief congregational news items from the Spring 2012 issue.
By Julia Angley
Spring 2012 2.15.12

Printer friendly version

SocialTwist
Tell-a-Friend

Unitarian Church of Marlborough and Hudson, Mass.

The Unitarian Church of Marlborough and Hudson in Hudson, Massachusetts, was built 150 years ago.

Kenneth Patton honored by N.J. congregation

The Unitarian Society of Ridgewood, N.J., honored the legacy of the Rev. Kenneth L. Patton, poet and scholar of contemporary liberal religion, with an event on Oct. 29, 2011.

The Rev. Dr. William R. Murry discussed Patton’s contributions to humanism and religious naturalism in a sermon celebrating Patton, who served as minister at the Unitarian Society of Ridgewood from 1964 to 1986. The daylong event marked the 100th anniversary of Patton’s birth and featured ten speakers addressing Patton’s legacy. A historical display highlighted Patton’s original paintings and his personal collection of primitive art and tools.

The Unitarian Society of Ridgewood will continue recognizing Patton’s contributions to their community with a sermon focusing on his legacy on April 29, 2012.

Texas UUs help homeless

Pathways Church in Southlake, Tex., received the 2011 Award of Appreciation from the Tarrant Area Community of Churches on Sept. 11, 2011.

The congregation was recognized for its work in the Moving Home Program, which helps move homeless people into permanent housing. Volunteers from the church participate by picking up donated furniture and household items and delivering the items to the new address. The Pathways congregation has been involved in the project for three years, and volunteers span all age groups, with a number of high school and middle school youth involved. The community has helped dozens of clients settle into permanent housing in the surrounding area.

Mass. church celebrates 150th

The Unitarian Church of Marlborough and Hudson in Hudson, Mass., celebrated the 150th anniversary of the church’s construction on Nov. 13, 2011. The church was founded in 1847 by abolitionists and attracted guest lecturers such as William Lloyd Garrison, Frederick Douglass, Samuel Clemens, and Ralph Waldo Emerson. Construction on the building was completed in 1861.

To honor the congregation’s abolitionist legacy, the congregation held a New Abolitionists series in the fall of 2011 focused on abolishing hunger. The program included worship services, community programs, and a benefit concert that raised $6,000 for local food pantries and anti-hunger legislation.


Share your congregation’s news with UU World. Write to world@uua.org.

Comments powered by Disqus

more spirit
more ideas
more life